The Primare SPA25 amplifier is a nine-channel Home Cinema model equipped with all the latest technologies, except the management of Ultra HD 8K. Before going further in our presentation, special mention for the design of the product, of a sobriety and a rare and statutory elegance.
Primare SPA25, main specifications
The Primare SPA25 therefore offers nine channels of amplification with a power of 90 W (at 8 ohms) per channel, 145 W per channel in stereo mode (still at 8 ohms). But it can handle eleven with the addition of an external stereo amplifier. We therefore find management of the basic Dolby Atmos and DTS:X 5.2.4/7.2.2, 7.2.4 and even DTS:X 11.1 configurations associated with an external 2.0 amplifier. Namely, in the 5.1, 5.1.2 and 7.1 configurations, with or without an additional amplifier therefore, it is still possible to bi-amplify the frontals which will then benefit, in this configuration, from an amplification of 290 W per channel. Good news to enjoy the best of the world of Hi-Fi and Home Cinema.
Another major feature for lovers of big shows, the presence of the renowned Dirac Live calibration (to be confirmed but the microphone would be provided in the box), in basic version (limited to 500 Hz). Access to the full version (Full Bandwith), against payment, is of course possible.
Finally, developed on the basis of the AKM digital-analog converter, the Primare had to be completely overhauled following the fire at the AKM manufacturer's factory. The Primare SPA25 amplifier finally features two Saber ESS9026Pro eight-channel Dacs with signal management up to 768 kHz/32 bits and DSD up to 22.6 megahertz.
Primare SPA25, the connection
The HDMI connectors, four inputs/two outputs, are obedience 2.0b certified HDCP 2.2, therefore limited to 4K/60 signals. Farewell, VRR, ALLM, Upscaling Ultra HD 4K, 4K/120, QMS (Quick Media Switching) or even QFT (Quick Frame transport). On the other hand, the eARC function is part of it. It should be noted that Primave has the honesty to mention the 2.0b standard for its HDMI sockets while other brands would have cheerfully borrowed the 2.1 label as authorized by the HDMI Forum when using a single function of the standard HDMI 2.1. Hence the confusion among consumers, retailers and even many media. Still on the video side, there is also the management of HDR10+ in addition to HDR10, HDR HLG and HDR Dolby Vision.
To the HDMI connectors must be added two optical inputs, one coaxial, five stereo RCA inputs, one optional 7.1 RCA input, one stereo RCA output, one Center mono RCA output, two subwoofer outputs (parallel), one USB-A port, one asynchronous USB-B port and two Ethernet ports. We can also mention an RS-232C socket and a 12V Trigger.
Primare SPA25, Prisma network module
Also present, through the exclusive Prisma network module with the UPnP (DLNA) audio gateway, AirPlay 2 compatibility or even Bluetooth, Chromecast (integrated) and Spotify Connect. The Roon Ready Tidal and Qobuz functionality are planned via a future Firmware update. Precision, web radios (TuneIn) are in order, the same goes for Wi-Fi ac Dual Band. Everything is accessible through the Prisma application.
Last precision, in addition to the management of Hi-Res Audio files (up to 192 kHz/24 bits), MP3, WMA, Ogg, Flac, Wav, AIFF, Alac, LPCM and MP4 compatibility are on the program ( 192kHz/24bit and 5.6MHz DSD over USB-A and Ethernet). A remote control is present.
Immediate availability, in black or silver. Indicative price: 5,500 euros.
Reminder of the key features of the Primare SPA25:
• Model: 9.2
• Power: 9 x 90 W (under 8 ohms) per channel, 2 x 145 W in stereo mode (under 8 ohms always)
• Signal-to-noise ratio: >100 dB
• THD (total harmonic distortion): 0.08%
• Frequency response: 20 - 22,000 Hz
• Inputs: 4 HDMI 2.0b inputs, 2 optical inputs, 1 coaxial, 5 stereo RCA inputs, 1 optional 7.1 RCA input, 1 USB-A port, 1 asynchronous USB-B port and 2 Ethernet ports, 1 RS-232C socket and 1 Trigger 12V To the HDMI connectors, you must add two optical inputs, one coaxial, five stereo RCA inputs, optional 7.1 RCA input, one stereo RCA output, one center mono RCA output, two subwoofer outputs (parallel), one USB port- A, an asynchronous USB-B port and two Ethernet ports. We can also mention an RS-232C socket and a 12V trigger.
• Outputs: 2 HDMI outputs 1 stereo RCA output, 1 center mono RCA output, 2 subwoofer outputs (parallel), 9 pairs of screw terminal blocks
• UPnP (DLNA) audio gateway function
• Spotify Connect function
• Flac HD compatibility
• AIFF compatibility
• Wav compatibility
• Alac compatibility
• MP3 compatibility
• WMA compatibility
• DSD 2.8/5.6/11.2/22.4 MHz compatibility
• Alac HD compatibility
• LPCM compatibility
• DTS:X audio
• Dolby Atmos 7.2.2/5.2.4 audio
• eARC function
• Audio ESS Saber ES9026Pro 768 kHz/32-bit digital-to-analog converter
• Ultra HD 4K Pass‑Through video
• HDR10 video
• HDR HLG video
• Dolby Vision HDR video
• BT.2020 compatibility video
• Video Ultra HD Pass-Trought function
• 3D Ready video
• HDR10+ video
• Dual Band Wi-Fi network (2.4/5 GHz)
• AirPlay 2 network
• Wi-Fi network ac
• Bluetooth network
• Chromecast network (integrated)
• Hi-Res Audio streaming via USB/network: Alac, AIFF, Flac and Wav up to at 192 kHz/ 24 bits, DSD 2.8/5.6 MHz
• Web radio(s): TuneIn
• HDCP 2.2 certification
• Roon Ready
• Headphone output: no
• Dimensions (W x H x D, mm): 430 x 142 x 420 mm
• Consumption: 85 W (all channels active), < 0.5 W standby
• Weight: 12 kg