To make a long story short, the Marantz Model 50 imprints many specifications on the Marantz Model 40n which appeared in the brand's catalog in 2022, modulo a few major differences, first and foremost the absence of Network Player functionality.
Marantz Model 50, main technologies implemented
For the rest, the Marantz Model 50 takes its audiophile character even further than the Model 40n. Firstly, a shielded toroidal transformer which powers Class AB amplifiers capable of delivering a comfortable power of 2 x 70 W at 8 ohms (2 x 100 W at 4 ohms). Next, we notice two exclusive main capacitors with a capacity of 18,000 microfarads each. Huge ! Namely, the latter are placed on the same printed circuit board as the power transistors, the aim being to reduce the power lines as much as possible and minimize the impedance, a source of better audio quality and increased dynamics.
Marantz Model 50, audiophile components HDAM-SA3
There are also exclusive HDAM-SA3 audiophile components. Likewise, the audio signal path is optimized from the source to the amplification stages. Finally, the chassis is reinforced with a double layer of aluminum and cheeks (still in aluminum) with a thickness of 5 millimeters. Of course, the front panel and remote control also adopt aluminum material.
Marantz Model 50, connectivity
On the gold-plated connector side, the Marantz Model 50 has a Phono MM input, four RCA inputs and a Recorder input/output. Not forgetting four pairs of screw terminal blocks (A/B selector), an optical input, a coaxial input, a subwoofer output plus a USB Host port. We also notice a Pre-Out Power Amp Direct input to use, for example, the Marantz Model 50 as an amplifier on a pair of front speakers within a multichannel system configured from an audio-video amplifier. To be complete, note that a Pre-Out 2.0 output and a 6.3 mm headphone output are present on the front.
Availability, in black or silver finish, end of September. Indicative price: 1,800 euros.
Reminder of the key characteristics of the Marantz Model 50:
• Model: 2.0
• Power: 2 x 70 W at 8 ohms, 2 x 100 W at 4 ohms
• Signal ratio /noise: 125 dB
• THD (total harmonic distortion): 0.02% (mono or stereo)
• Frequency response: 5 Hz - 100 kHz
• Inputs: 1 Phono input MM, 4 RCA inputs and 1 Recorder input/output, 1 optical input, 1 coaxial, 1 subwoofer output, 1 Pre-Out Power Amp Direct input
• Outputs: 1 Pre-Out 2.0 output (zone 2) , 1 subwoofer output, 1 headphone output, 4 pairs of screw terminal blocks
• Hi-Res Audio certification
• Headphone output: yes
• Dimensions (L x H x D, mm) : 442 x 130 x 431 mm
• Consumption: 220 W (0.3 W in standby)
• Weight: 14.2 kg