The latest addition to Sony's 5G premium smartphones, the Xperia 1 III replaces the Sony Xperia 1 II which appeared last year at the same time (see our Smartphone news Xperia 1 II, Sony's first 5G top-of-the-range) .
Audio and video
On the menu, of course, we find the 21/9 CinemaWide Ultra HD 4K HDR10 Oled 6.5 '' (16.51 cm) screen with, for the first time, a refresh rate 120 Hz (in Full HD mode). In addition, it provides 100% coverage of the DCI-P3 gamut.
It is also equipped with two front speakers, 40% more powerful than on the previous model, and Dolby Atmos compatibility. It also takes advantage of Sony's proprietary spatial audio technology, 360 Reality Audio. In addition, it benefits from the new DSEE Ultimate technology. The latter uses artificial intelligence to adapt the audio frequency and the signal rate in real time for always optimized sound quality. In this, the Xperia 1 III smartphone remains faithful to the philosophy of its predecessors, intended to reproduce a cinematic experience on a screen the size of a smartphone.
Photo and video capabilities
But with the Xperia 1 III smartphone, Sony is also positioning its newborn in the photography sector with, admittedly, remarkable performance. The result of a development in association with the engineers of the brand's Alpha series of cameras. There is therefore a quadruple lens with three optimized Zeiss optics, associated with a fourth sensor: 12 Mpxls main wide-angle sensor (f / 1.7, 24 mm, PDAF, stabilized) + 12 Mpxls ultra-wide-angle sensor (f / 2.2, 16mm, PDAF) + 12 Mpxls telephoto sensor (f / 2.3 to 70mm, f / 2.8 to 105mm) + 3D ToF type sensor to better manage depth of field. For its part, the selfie camera is of 8 Mpxls obedience (f / 2.0, 24 mm, photosite 1.12 µm).
On the photographic side, the camera offers real-time Eye AF (which detects and tracks the subject's eyes) for humans and animals, as well as improved real-time tracking. For video, recording is provided up to 2160p HDR10 at 120 fps or up to 1080p at 240 fps on the camera and 1080p at 30 fps on the selfie camera. Namely, slow motion is possible up to 2160p at 120 frames per second.
Also of note is the Xperia 1 III's ability to shoot burst photos at up to 20 frames per second with low-light noise reduction, ideal for capturing images of a moving scene. Another good point, the Sony Xperia 1 III can connect to a DualShock 4 controller for an optimized gaming experience, and it is water resistant (IP65 / 68 certifications) as well as shock (Corning Gorilla Glass Victus coating on the back). 'screen).
Processor, connectivity and connectivity
The processor is an Octa Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 888 specimen (1 x 2.84 GHz Kryo 680 + 3 x 2.42 GHz Kryo 680 + 4 x 1.80 GHz Kryo 680) engraved in 5 nm and supported by an Adreno 660 graphics chip, 12 GB of Ram and 256 GB of flash memory (expandable up to 1 TB via micro-SDXC). The device is powered by the Android 11 operating system and has a 4,500 mAh battery with wireless charging and fast charging (up to 50% in just 30 minutes).
In terms of connectivity, there are Bluetooth 5.2 APT-X HD, Wi-Fi 6 Dual Band, Wi-Fi Direct and UPnP (DLNA) compatibilities. Finally, the 3.5 mm Hi-Res Audio mini-jack output is 192 kHz / 24 bit compatible and a fingerprint sensor is present on the side of the terminal in addition to a USB-C connector.
Available in spring 2021, in frosted black, frosted gray or frosted purple.
Reminder of the key features of the Sony Xperia 1 III:
• OS: Android 11
• Network: 5G / LTE, HSPA, GSM
• Screen: Oled 6.5 '' (16.51 cm) 120 Hz
• Coating: Corning Gorilla Glass Victus
• Resolution: 3840 x 1644 pixels (643 dpi)
• Aspect ratio: 21: 9
• Color space (gamut): DCI-P3, Rec.2020
• Processor: Octa Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 888 (1 x 2.84 GHz Kryo 680 + 3 x 2.42 GHz Kryo 680 + 4 x 1.80 GHz Kryo 680) engraved in 5 nm
• Graphics chip: Adreno 660
• RAM: 12 GB
• Flash: 256 GB (expandable from 1 TB via micro-SD)
• Camera: 12 Mpxls wide-angle (f / 1.7, 24mm, PDAF, stabilized) + 12 Mpxls ultra-wide-angle (f / 2.2, 16mm, PDAF) + 12 Mpxls telephoto (f / 2, 3 to 70 mm, f / 2.8 to 105 mm) + 3D ToF 0.3 Mpxls to better manage the depth of field, LED flash, HDR
• Selfie camera: 8 Mpxls (f / 2.0 , 24 mm, photosite 1.12 µm), HDR
• Wi ‑ Fi Direct compatibility
• HDR10 compatibility
• NFC compatibility
• UPnP compatibility (DLNA)
• Wi-Fi ax Dual Band
• Bluetooth 5.2 APT-X / NFC compatibility
• Others: GPS, A-GPA, Glonass
• Function (s ): Sony DSEE Ultiate (to improve the quality of compressed music files)
• Video capture: up to 2 160p at 120 fps or 1080p at 30/60/240 fps on the camera, 1080p at 30 fps on the Selfie camera
• Fingerprint sensor: yes, on the side
• Certification: Hi-Res Audio, IP65 / IP68
• Sound section: 192 kHz / 24-bit compatibility
• Connector: USB-C port, micro-SDXC
• 3.5 mm mini-jack headphone socket: yes
• Battery: 4,500 mAh (not removable )
• Dimensions: 165 x 71 x 8.2 mm
• Weight: 186 g