As usual, it was during the recent Unpacked conference that Samsung unveiled the new Galaxy S range for 2023.
Galaxy S23, Galaxy S23+ and Galaxy S23 Ultra: common specifications
As mentioned in our Samsung Galaxy S23 5G and Samsung Galaxy S23+ 5G posts, the S23 series models have a lot in common, starting with Dynamic Amoled displays. However, the adaptive refresh rate ranges from 10Hz to 120Hz on the S23/S23+ and 1Hz to 120Hz on the S23 Ultra.
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra, screen and processor specs
The screen of the Galaxy S23 Ultra 5G is a 6.8'' (17.3 cm) Oled specimen with a 20/9 ratio featuring a resolution of 1440 x 3088 pixels (500 ppi), compatibility HDR10+, 1750 nits peak light and Gorilla Glass Victus 2 coating. 8 GHz Cortex-A715 + 2 x 2.8 GHz Cortex-A710 + 3 x 2.0 GHz Cortex-A510) engraved in 4 nm, supported by 8 GB or 12 GB of Ram memory, and a choice of 256 GB, 512 GB or 1 TB of Flash memory and an Adreno 740 graphics chip.
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra, photo and video specs
On the photo side, the Galaxy S23 Ultra 5G has a quadruple sensor: a 200 Mpxls wide-angle (24 mm, f/1.7, 0.6 µm photosite, PDAF, Laser AF, stabilized) + a 10 Mpxls periscope ( 230 mm, f/4.9, 1.12 µm photosite, 10x optical zoom, Dual Pixel, PDAF, stabilized) + a 10 Mpxls periscope telephoto lens (230 mm, f/4.9, 1.12 µm photosite, optical zoom x10, Dual Pixel, PDAF, stabilized) and a 12 Mpxls ultra-wide-angle camera (13 mm, f/2.2, 1.4 µm photosite, Dual Pixel, PDAF, stabilized). For its part, the selfie camera is 12 Mpxls (26 mm, Dual Pixel PDAF and f / 2.2 aperture). We also note an LED flash.
On the video capture side, the smartphone can naturally record video sequences in 4,320p resolution (Ultra HD 8K) in 24 fps or 30 fps, 2,160p up to 60 fps, 1,080p up to in 240 fps and 720p at 960 fps. And 2160p up to 60fps or 1080p up to 30fps for the selfie camera.
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra, Bulk Specs
The Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra 5G adopts Bluetooth 5.3 LE, NFC and Wi-Fi 6E Tri-Band standards. The battery has a capacity of 5000 mAh. The fast charging function is required (45 W), the same for Reverse Charging (4.5 W) and fast wireless charging (15 W). Thanks to 5G and the agreement with Google for its Google Duo instant messaging service, video calls are changing greatly with the possibility offered to eight people to take part in the same video call. The integration of Google Duo has also been optimized and allows you to transfer a videoconference in progress on a Galaxy S23 Ultra 5G to a compatible Smart TV. Last thing, the S-Pen stylus is of course still in the game.
Last details, the fingerprint sensor is placed under the screen, the Bixby, Samsung Pay, Samsung DeX functionalities are on board and there is 384 kHz / 32 bit compatibility in addition to IP68 certification. Finally, Android 13 is in charge.
The word to TM Roh, president and director of the MX (Mobile eXperience) activity Samsung Electronics“The cameras in our smartphones have profoundly changed the way we create, share and communicate. Through photos and videos, we express ourselves and stay connected with the people we care about, said TM Roh, president and director of MX (Mobile eXperience) business, Samsung Electronics. That's why the new Galaxy S's deliver exceptional picture quality day or night and the best mobile performance ever from Samsung."
Available immediately in graphite, light yellow, green or pink colors the 11th of March. Indicative prices: €1,419 for the Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra 5G 8GB/256GB version, €1,599 for the Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra 5G 12GB/256GB version, €1,839 for the Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra 5G 12GB version /1 TB.
Reminder of the key features of the Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra 5G:
• OS: Android 13 + One UI 5.1
• Network: 5G, 4G/LTE, HSPA, GSM
• Screen : Oled 6.8'' (17.23 cm), 120 Hz
• Coating: Corning Gorilla Glass Victus 2
• Resolution: 1,440 x 3,88 pixels (500 dpi)
• Format: 20/9
• Peak light: 1,750 nits
• Processor: Octa Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 (1 x 3.36 GHz Cortex-X3 + 2 x 2.8 GHz Cortex-A715 + 2 x 2.8 GHz Cortex-A710 + 3 x 2.0 GHz Cortex-A510) engraved in 4 nm
• Graphics chip: Adreno 740
• RAM: 8 GB or 12 GB
• Flash: 256 GB, 512 GB or 1 TB (not expandable)
• Camera: 200 Mpxls wide-a gle (24 mm, f/1.7, 0.6 µm photosite, PDAF, Laser AF, stabilized ) + 10 Mpxls periscope (230 mm, f/4.9, 1.12 µm photosite, 10x optical zoom, Dual Pixel, PDAF, stabilized) + 10 Mpxls periscope telephoto lens (230 mm, f/4.9, 1 photosite, 12 µm, x10 optical zoom, Dual Pixel, PDAF, stabilized) and a 12 Mpxls ultra wide-angle camera (13 mm, f/2.2, 1.4 µm photosite, Dual Pixel, PDAF, stabilized)
• Selfie camera: 12 Mpxls (26 mm, Dual Pixel PDAF and f/2.2 aperture). There is also an LED flash
• Wi‑Fi Direct compatibility
• HDR10+ compatibility
• Wi-Fi 6e compatibility
• Bluetooth 5.3/NFC compatibility
• Wi‑Fi compatibility -Fi 6e Tri-Band
• Others: GPS, A-GPA, Glonass, Quick Charge function (25 W), Quick Charge Qi function (15 W), Reverse Charging (4.5 W)
• Video capture: up to 4320p at 24 fps or 24 fps, 2160p at 60 fps, 1080p at 240 fps or 720p at 960 fps, 2160p at 60 fps or 1080p at 30 fps on the Selfie camera
• Fingerprint sensor: yes, under the screen
• Certification: IP68, Hi-Res Audio
• Sound section: 384 kHz/32-bit DAC
• Connector: USB-C port
• 3.5 mm mini-jack headphone socket: no
• Battery: 5,000 mAh (not removable)• Dimensions: 163.4 x 78.1 x 8.9 mm
• Weight: 234 g