Like the previous Rotel hardware presented in our columns, the Rotel S14 benefits from the Roon Ready label (the Roon application therefore supports the product and adapts the quality of the audio stream read to the capabilities of the device), MQA (and MQA Studio) compatibility and an ESS Saber ES9028Q2M 384 kHz/32-bit digital-to-analog converter.
Rotel S14, main specs
The wish of the Japanese manufacturer, with the S14, is of course to offer a device on the one hand faithful to the long line of Hi-Fi amplifiers, but also capable of meeting the new needs of music lovers, especially in the field of wireless connectivity and the exploitation of Hi-Res Audio files. Namely, the Rotel S14 can be controlled by IP.
These elements are always associated with a toroidal transformer, as usual, entirely manufactured by Rotel. The latter is accompanied by a Class AB amplification delivering a total power of 2 x 80 W under 8 ohms (2 x 150 W under 4 ohms). Finally, a color display on the front allows you to view the covers of the albums or EPs associated with the music broadcast.
Rotel S14, the connectors
Connectivity is rich and allows you to take advantage of both the best of physical media with an RCA stereo input, an RCA Pre-Out output, a subwoofer output, two digital inputs with one optical and one coaxial, one asynchronous USB-B (compatible with 384 kHz/32 bits and DSD 11.2 MHz), a powered USB-A port (5 V, for example to connect a Chromecast Audio module or recharge a headed peripheral) ensuring playback of MP3 files, WMA and AAC, and an Ethernet port.
The program also includes Bluetooth APT-X HD and Wi-Fi Dual Band compatibility on the one hand, Spotify Connect, AirPlay 2 and Chromecast (integrated) on the other. Finally, there are two pairs of screw terminals, plus a headphone output on the front. Finally, access to web radios, Tidal, Qobuz is provided via the dedicated Rotel application.
Availability announced for the end of January in black or silver finish. Indicative price: 2,699 euros.
Reminder of the key features of the Rotel S14:
• Model: 2.0
• Power: 2 x 80 W at 8 ohms, 2 x 150 W at 4 ohms
• Signal/ noise: 98 dB
• THD (total harmonic distortion): 0.04%
• Frequency response: 10 - 100,000 Hz
• Inputs: 1 RCA stereo input, 1 optical and 1 coaxial, 1 USB-B asynchronous input (384 kHz/32-bit and DSD 11.2 MHz compatible), 1 powered USB type A port, 1 Ethernet port
• Outputs: 1 Pre-Out 2.0 output, 1 mono output subwoofer, 1 headphone output, two pairs of screw terminals
• Pure Direct functions
• Spotify Connect function
• Tidal function
• Qobuz function
• MP3 compatibility
• WMA compatibility
• AAC compatibility
• DSD 2.8/5.6/11.2 MHz compatibility
• MQA compatibility
• Audio Digital to analog converter ESS Saber ES9028Q2M 384 kHz/32-bit
• Control by IP
• Dual Band Wi-Fi network (2.4/5 GHz)
• AirPlay 2 network
• Chromecast network (integrated é)
• APT-X HD Bluetooth network
• Multimedia Roon Ready
• Hi-Res Audio streaming via USB/network: yes up to 384 kHz/32 bits
• Headphone output: yes
• Other(s): toroidal transformer
• Dimensions (W x H x D, mm): 430 x 93 x 345 mm
• Consumption: 280 W (< 0 .5 W in standby)
• Weight: 9.15 kg