Ready to be deployed, it will probably be necessary to wait until the next school year to see the Onkyo 2021 range arrive in stores. The brand has indeed had a series of setbacks, mainly exogenous, in recent times: health crisis in 2020 which paralyzed the Asian factories, fire at the end of 2020 of the AKM factory, supplier of the Onkyo Dacs and delay assumed by Onkyo to integrate the new HDMI 2.1 cards signed Nuvotron free of bugs (see our news Bug HDMI 2.1 of Home Cinema amps 2020, see you in the spring of 2021). Added to this today is the lack of electronic components that affects all economic sectors.
Onkyo TX-NR6100, the news
In short, the Onkyo TX-NR6100 takes up the basics of its predecessor, the Onkyo TX-NR696 which appeared in 2019, modulo some welcome developments to integrate all the technological developments of the moment. Starting with three 40 Gbps HDMI 2.1 inputs (see our CES 21 news > Onkyo TX-NR5100, TX-NR6100, TX-NR7100 and TX-RZ50: HDMI 2.1 update) out of the six on the back of the TX -NR6100 compatible HFR 4K/120, 8K/60, VRR, ALLM, eARC, QMS (Quick Media Switching) and QFT (Quick Frame transport). Similarly, an Ultra HD 8K upscaling of UHD 4K sources and another in UHD 4K/8K of 1080p sources are included.
Still in terms of new features, there is the management of HDR10+, in addition to HDR10, HDR HLG and HDR Dolby Vision and the Works with Alexa and Works with Apple Homekit (Siri) functions, in addition to Works with Hey Google already present on the NR696. Thus, it is possible to partly control the Onkyo TX-NR6100 by voice through an Amazon Echo or Google Home type speaker. Namely, again, the Alexa Multiroom Music function will be on the program via a later Firmware update. The list of upgrades also mentions the presence of a DAB+ tuner (40 presets), bi-directional Bluetooth 4.2 (BT TX therefore transmitter in addition to BT RX therefore receiver).
Onkyo TX-NR6100, Main Specifications
For the rest, we find THX Select certification, AirPlay 2 compatibility or Dolby Atmos Height Virtualizer and DTS Virtual:X processing (to enjoy “height” sound effects without “height” speakers). Likewise, it is always possible to assign a stereo signal from the fronts to the Height, surrounds or surrounds back speakers to enjoy perfect surround sound. The power still displays 175 W per channel (into 6 ohms) via Dynamic Audio amplification. The latter, associated with a massive transformer, highlights a high current and low impedance architecture to precisely manage large speakers.
We also note DTS:X and Dolby Atmos compatibility, AccuEQ automatic calibration with AccuReflex functionality to manage additional Dolby Atmos and DTS:X channels.
In addition to Chromecast (integrated) and AirPlay 2 already mentioned, the Onkyo TX-NR6100 integrates another wireless (or wired) network protocol, DTS Play-Fi. As a reminder, the latter also offers multiroom management. Several speakers or Play-Fi devices can coexist in the same household, communicate together, and all the functionalities of a multiroom configuration are available: streaming of the same music source on all Play-Fi products, or the possibility of streaming on each of them from a separate source.
Onkyo TX-NR6100, the fundamentals of the brand
Model 7.2 3D Ready, the Onkyo TX-NR6100 naturally incorporates all the characteristics of its predecessor. We find Dolby Atmos 5.2.2 compatibility (two channels dedicated to Upfire speakers), Hi-Res Audio certification (up to 192 kHz/24 bits), AirPlay compatibility and Wi-Fi ac Dual Band (2, 4/5 GHz), network functionality associated with an Ethernet port, UPnP (DLNA) multimedia function, MP3, Flac, Wav, AIFF, Alac and DSD compatibility (2.8/5.6/11.2 MHz ), access to Web radios (TuneIn) and, finally, a digital-analog converter signed Cirrus Logic. Likewise, the streaming services Spotify Connect, Amazon Music, Deezer and Tidal are directly accessible via the amplifier.
For the rest, there is Works with Sonos certification, zone 2 audio multiroom management, direct management of the digital signal from an iPod/iPhone (via the USB port), an OSD, plus a optimization of compressed audio files referred to as Advanced Music Optimizer. Also present, a 32-bit DSP, a Direct mode and four DSP modes for video games: Rock, Sports, Action and RPG.
Everything is of course fully controllable thanks to the free Onkyo Controller Android/iOS app with its really great look and feel. Also worth mentioning is the "Standby Hybrid" standby mode (the amplifier in standby remains transparent to a turntable connected via HDMI, for example) to drastically reduce energy consumption (0.15 W) and transfer via the HDMI output of signals available, even analog, on all video inputs. This is to connect a single cable to the TV.
Onkyo TX-NR6100, artist inputs and outputs
In addition to the three HDMI 2.1 inputs already mentioned, there are three of 2.0 obedience for a total of six inputs, plus two outputs, all HDCP 2.3 certified and transparent to signals 2 160p/50, 2 160p/60 and 2 160p/120 and 4 320p/60 up to 4:4:4 and BT.2020. Of course, these connectors are also Deep Color (36-bit) and xvYCC certified. The 3D Ready label is still there. Also present, an optical input, a coaxial, five stereo RCA including a Phono, an Ethernet port and seven pairs of screw terminals. Plus two USB Host ports on the front and back, a 3.5 mm mini-Jack auxiliary input (for the calibration microphone) on the front and a headphone output. Also of note, zone B stereo management (with dedicated Dac to take advantage of digital sources) via RCA and a color OSD.
To come back to the second HDMI output, this allows the same audio-video signal carried on the first to be sent to another room to power a video projector in addition to the TV, for example. If the Zone 2 HDMI parameter is activated, this is then completely independent of the first in order to feed a secondary room with a different audio and video signal.
Immediate availability, in black or silver. Indicative price: 999 euros.
Reminder of the key features of the Onkyo TX-NR6100:
• Model: 7.2
• Power: 7 x 175 W at 6 ohms
• Signal-to-noise ratio: 106 dB
• THD (Total Harmonic Distortion): 0.08%
• Frequency response: 10 - 100,000 Hz/+1dB, -3dB (Direct Mode)
• Inputs: 3 HDMI 2.1 inputs, 3 HDMI 2.0b inputs, 1 optical, 1 coaxial, 4 RCA stereo, 1 Phono, 2 USB Host ports (front and rear), 1 Ethernet port, 1 front 3.5 mm mini-jack auxiliary input
• Outputs: 2 HDMI outputs (with Zone 2 HDMI option to carry two independent audio-video signals on each of the HDMI outputs), 2 subwoofer outputs, 1 headphone output, 1 zone B, 7 pairs of screw terminal blocks
• OSD functions
• UPnP (DLNA) audio gateway functions
• Vocal Enhancer functions
• ALLM functions
• VRR functions
• QFT functions• QMS functions
• 4K/120 fps Ultra HD functions
• 8K/60 fps Ultra HD functions
• Flac HD compatibility
• Compatibility AIFF
• Alac compatibility
• DSD compatibility (2.8/5.6/11.2 MHz)
• Wav compatibility
• DTS audio:X
• Audio Dolby Atmos 5.2.2
• Audio Dolby Atmos Height Virtualizer function
• Audio Advanced Music Optimizer function
• Audio eARC function
• Video Ultra HD/4K Pass‑Through
• Video HDR10
• Video HDR HLG
• Video HDR Dolby Vision
• Video BT.2020 compatibility
• Video Ultra HD Pass-Trought function
• Video 3D Ready
• Video HDR10+
• Video Upscaling Function Ultra HD/8K (24/25/30/60)
• Video Upscaling Function Ultra HD/4K (24/25/30/ 60/120)
• THX Select certification
• Dual Band Wi-Fi network (2.4/5 GHz)
• AirPlay 2 network
• Network ChromeCast function (integrated)
• Network DTS Play-Fi certification
• Network Works with Sonos certification
• Bluetooth 4.2 APT-X Qualcomm HD network
• Bluetooth TX network
• Bluetooth APT network -X
• Multimedia Apple Siri
• Multimedia Works with Hey Google
• Multimedia Works with Alexa
• Multimedia Amazon Multiroom Music
• Streaming via USB/Network: Alac, AIFF, Flac and Wav up to 192 kHz/ 24 bit, DSD 2.8/ 5.6/11.2 MHz
• Web radio(s): Amazon Music, Spotify, TuneIn, Deezer, Tidal
• 40-preset AM/FM tuner
• Hi-Res Audio certification
• Works with Sonos certification
• Dynamic Audio amplification
• PLL (Phase Locked Loop) anti-jitter technology
• HDCP 2.3 certification
• DAB+ tuner
• Roon Ready
• Headphone output: yes 6.35 mm jack
• Other(s): Dolby Atmos Upmixing function, DTS Neural Upmixing, active zone 2 with dedicated Dac, Android/iOS Onkyo ControllerRemote app
• Dimensions (W x H x D, mm): 435 x 173.5 x 379.5
• Consumption: 570 W (0.15 W in standby)
• Weight: 9, 8kg