Like its predecessor which appeared in 2022, the LG B2 Oled TV series, the LG B3 has three references, the LG OLED55B3 (55'', 140 cm), LG OLED65B3 (65'', 165 cm) and LG OLED77B3 (77'', 196cm).
LG B3 TV, “classic” Oled panel
If the LG C3 and LG G3 televisions benefit from the Evo label, this is not the case for the LG B2 models. The latter are therefore equipped with a so-called "classic" Oled panel offering a peak light level approximately 30% lower than that of an LG C3 screen and 70% lower than that of an LG G3.
Zoom on the evolutions of LG B3 Oled TVs
For the rest, the main evolution of the LG B3 therefore lies in the integration of the new Alpha 7 Gen 6 processor in charge of video processing which still has two major and distinct stages (compared to four on the Alpha 9 processor) to purge the video noise. Instead of being carried out one after the other, these are carried out in one go. Which, in the end, translates into an increase in image quality, the risk of error between two steps being reduced. Thanks to the power of Alpha 7 Gen 6.
The increased resources of the latter reinforce the performance of the AI Picture Pro and AI Sound Pro processes still present: the first is based on a Deep Learning program (image processing is adapted to the nature of the content for optimized on-screen display with, to be noted, a new Dynamic Tone Mapping algorithm that will subdivide the screen into more independent areas for increased overall colorimetric fidelity). Ditto for the second, modulo the audio content with the possibility of a virtual 5.1.2 audio environment from a stereo signal in order to improve sound immersion.
In terms of new features for Oled LG B3 televisions, we should point out the new WebOS 23 interface and Matter certification (click on the link to find out all about this unprecedented ergonomics). With it, the Launch Bar disappears in favor of a proposal close to that of Google TV or Android TV.
As for flagship services, GeForce Now, Shadow, Blacknut and Utomik Cloud are still present. Ditto for the Game Optimizer vintage 2023 mode (see photo above) which brings together all the TV settings involved with a video game signal and allows the user to configure them individually as desired.
To return to the algorithms of LG 2023 TVs already present in the 2022 models, the Alpha 7 Gen 6 identifies the faces and text displayed on the screen ever more precisely to optimize the settings. But also, the objects and the bodies of the individuals on the screen. Result, a sharpness announced on the rise and a skin tone never faulted. Similarly, the Auto Genre Selection function recognizes more precisely and automatically the nature of the content displayed on the screen and selects the optimum settings (film, sport, SD definition, HD, etc.).
Otherwise, many specifications hardly change from year to year. We list the main ones below:
• A Dynamic Tone Mapping Pro color conversion table (3DLUT) with nearly 36,000 colorimetric correction points for perfect accuracy, better image depth by managing different focal planes via the Object Depth Enhancer process, and increased precision of image sharpness
• LG Oled TVs are capable of carrying a Dolby Atmos audio signal via the eARC function of the HDMI socket. This is to retrieve the Dolby Atmos soundtracks available from Netflix for example.
• Wisa compatibility to enjoy TV sound, up to 5.1, on appropriate speakers, i.e. wireless
• ThinQ AI Smart TV function
• 2 HDMI 2.1 inputs (48 Gb/s)
• ALLM and VRR compatibility (from 40 Hz to 120 Hz)
• a 4K Ultra HD HFR signal (120 frames per second) via the HDMI connectors
• Direct integration of Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant voice assistants
• VP9 and AV1 compatibility via HDMI or USB
• Label HGiG (HDR Gaming interest Group)
• G-Sync and FreeSync Premium compatibility
• Bluetooth Surround function (to use LG Bluetooth speakers as a surround speaker in a multi-channel setup)
• Filmmaker mode
• Voice control (Hi LG or Alexa) thanks to the microphones integrated into the TV (without the need for the remote control)
• Absolutely splendid design: on the wall, on a stand with the Gallery Stand or the Floor Stand (cf. photo bone below), the result is magnificent
• Sport Alert function to be informed in real time, via superimposed notification of the displayed image of the news of his favorite team (score, upcoming matches, etc.)
LG B3: HDR10, HDR Dolby Vision, HDR HLG and Dolby Vision IQ Precision Detail
There is also a native flat 120 Hz 10-bit Oled Ultra HD panel and the Perfect Color (99% of the DCI-P3 color space) and True Color Accuracy Pro functions for unprecedented color accuracy.
Also on the menu, the AI Super Upscaling UHD algorithm capable of magnifying SD/HD sources to Ultra HD and a fine 2.0 sound bar delivering a total power of 20 W (2 x 10 W). Not to mention HEVC 2 160p/50 and 2 160p/60 compatibility, codec used for HD VOD and Ultra HD Blu-Ray.
The 4K Cinema HDR function is associated with HDR10, HDR Dolby Vision and HDR HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma) compatibility. Also present is the Dolby Vision IQ process to enjoy a Dolby Vision HDR image that is always perfectly set regardless of the surrounding light conditions. Namely, the Dynamic Tone Mapping function cuts the image into a multitude of zones (several hundred), each benefiting from a specific setting.
LG B3, Smart TV ThinQ AI
LG OLEDB3 screens of course offer the LG ThinQ AI 2023 function. As already mentioned above, Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant are integrated. These voice assistants are both accessible directly on the remote control via a dedicated button but also through the TV, without the need for the zappette). In addition to exchanging vocally directly with your screen, as with a Google Home or Amazon Echo speaker, it is possible to control by voice through the TV other Google Assistant and Alexa certified devices shared on the local network. All of this provides access to the internet and specific services (LG App Store online store, chat on social networks, etc.), or directly to the web as on a computer. Of course, Miracast, Bluetooth 5.0, Wi-Fi 5, AirPlay 2 and HomeKit are on the menu again.
Otherwise, ThinQ AI has its own AI module to drive the TV easily and quickly. But the Conversational mode available on Alexa and even more so on Google Assistant is not relevant here. ThinQ AI is perfect for giving the TV a command, such as "Volume up" or "Turn on Cinema mode", but it's Google Assistant that takes over during a more in-depth question, on an actor displayed on the screen. 'screen or more generally to search for information related or not to the broadcast content.
Don't forget either that the Magic Remote includes a microphone for ergonomics, via voice command, which is always excellent. WebOS 23 also allows you to enjoy 360° videos directly on the TV screen and to use the Magic Remote to move around in the image.
LG B3, and the rest?
For the rest, we find on LG B3 TVs a simple DVB-T2, DVB-S2 and DVB-C tuner, an Auto Level function (to avoid sudden changes in sound volume when changing sources), Fransat and Canal Ready certifications, HBBTV compatibility, the DVR function for recording favorite programs via one of the two USB Host 2.0 ports on a suitable key or an external HDD, all associated with the Time Shifting function. Of course, a virtual keyboard is available via the LG Remote iOS/Android application to use suitable smartphones/tablets as remote controls.
Finally, if LG does not give any details on the Input Lag of the 2023 Oled TVs, it should at least be at the level of that of the 2022 TVs, i.e. around 10 ms (6 ms in 4K/120 ) with HDR Game mode.
LG B3,HDMI 2.1/HDCP 2.3
The connection of LG B3 screens therefore brings together at the back of the TV (see photo above) two HDCP 2.3 certified HDMI CEC 2.1 inputs, one of which has the eARC function. There are also two HDMI 2.0 inputs and an optical output, plus two USB Host ports (including one 3.0) Fat32 and NTFS compatible, a CI+ port and an Ethernet port. In addition to VP9 and AV1, MP3, AAC, PCM, WMA, VC-1 and Jpeg compatibility is assured, with the MKV container. Finally, there is the LG Sound Sync Wireless function to automatically turn on/off, like the TV, a brand sound bar for example.
Last precision, Oled LG B3 TVs can be combined with the TV Gallery Stand (pictured above), except for the 77-inch model.
Availability announced for April. Indicative prices: €1,999 for the LG OLED55B3, €2,699 for the LG OLED65B3 and €3,999 for the LG OLED77B3.
Reminder of the key characteristics of LG B3 TVs:
• 10-bit panel
• Oled panel
• Ultra HD/4K panel
• 120 Hz panel
• Processor: Alpha 7 Gen 6
• Wide Color Gamut function
• UPnP (DLNA) multimedia gateway function
• eARC function
• VRR function
• ALLM function ( Auto Low Latency Mode)
• Upscaller HDR function
• Time Shifting function
• LG Sound Sync Wireless function
• 4K HFR 120 function
• AI Sound Pro function
• AI Picture Pro function
• Advanced Color Enhancer function
• Oled Motion Pro function
• Auto Volume Level function
• AI Brightness Control function
• 4K AI Super Upscaling
• HDR10 and HDR HLG compatibility
• NTFS compatibility (via USB)
• Miracast compatibility
• HDR Dolby Vision compatibility
• HEVC compatibility
• NFC compatibility
• Dolby Atmos compatibility
• HBBTV compatibility
• Fransat compatibility
• Wi-Fi Direct compatibility
• C FreeSync compatibility
• CEC compatibility
• Channel Ready compatibility
• Bluetooth 5.0 compatibility
• Wi-Fi ac compatibility
• AV1 compatibility
• VP9 compatibility
• Dolby Vision IQ compatibility
• G-Sync compatibility
• HDCP 2.3 compatibility
• Filmmaker Mode certification
• Outputs: 1 optical output, 1 mini-Jack 3, 5 mm
• Inputs: 2 HDMI 2.1 compatible HDCP 2.3, CEC, eARC, 2 HDMI 2.0, 2 USB 2.0 ports compatible Fat32, exFat and NTFS, 1 CI+ port, 1 Ethernet port
• AirPlay 2 multimedia
• Multimedia HomeKit
• Multimedia Amazon Alexa
• Multimedia Google Assistant
• Multimedia LG ThinQ AI
• Multimedia WebOS 23
• Input Lag: 10 ms (6 ms in 4K/120)
• Bright peak: around 700 nits
• DVB-T2 tuner
• DVB-C tuner
• DVB-S2 tuner
• Sound section: 2.0
• Power: 20 W (2 x 10 W)
• Energy label: G (SDR & HDR)