Coming directly from China, the Magnetar UDP800 is distributed in Europe by the French company HD Land.
Magnetar UDP800, premium specs
We therefore find a very attractive technical sheet. We start with an exceptional manufacturing quality with a 1.6 mm thick double-layer chassis, reinforced with a 3 mm steel plate to stiffen the assembly and lower the center of gravity. Likewise, this structure also makes it possible to reduce the mechanical movement noise of the optical unit. This manufacturing quality is found on the scales with a displayed weight of 8 kilos.
Dolby Vision HDR compatibility is required, in addition to HDR10+ of course. Ditto for 4K Ultra HD Upscaling of all video sources. Everything is managed by the Quad Core Mediatek MT8581 processor (already present in the Reavon models).
In terms of audio, the Magnetar UDP-8000 player is Hi-Res Audio certified and if DSD compatibility (up to 5.6 MHz) is on the menu, it is the same for SACD playback. For the rest, the reading of AIFF, Alac, Flac and Wav files is ensured. Sound signal processing is provided by two Burr-Brown PCM1795 Dacs (digital-to-analog converters), one per channel (right and left). There is also a high quality MUSES8920 operational amplifier (OP Amp) for audiophile sound reproduction.
Namely, the transformer of the Magnetar UDP-8000 is a low-noise, high-power (60W) specimen paired with Japanese Rubycon electrolytic capacitors. The goal is to perfectly handle the high transient response of multi-channel soundtracks and Hi-Res Audio files.
Magnetar UDP800, the connection
The connectors include a double HDMI output, a coaxial output, an optical, an RCA stereo, an XLR balanced stereo, an RS-232C, a USB Host port and an Ethernet port. On the multimedia side, the UPnP (DLNA) audio gateway function is required.
Immediate availability. Indicative price: 1,599 euros.
Reminder of the key characteristics of the Magnetar UDP800:
• Type: Ultra HD Blu-Ray deck
• Codec compatibility: AIFF, Alac, APE, Flac, Wav
• DSD compatibility: yes
• Dolby Vision HDR function
• HDR10/HDR10+ function
• Outputs: dual HDMI 2.0b outputs, one coaxial, one optical, 1 stereo RCA and 1 stereo XLR, 1 RS-232C , 1 USB-A port, 1 Ethernet port
• UPnP (DLNA) audio gateway function: yes
• Hi-Res Audio certification
• SACD function
• Dac: 2 x Burr-Brown PCM 1795
• Frequency response: 20 - 20,000 Hz
• Signal-to-noise ratio: 120 dB
• Total harmonic distortion (THD): 0.00018%• Consumption: 30W
• Standby consumption: 0.5 W
• Dimensions (WXHXP, mm): 430 x 90 x 330 mm
• Weight: 8 kg