The PX7 S2 audio headset from Bowers & Wilkins adopts the same finish as its predecessor allowing a rigid but light chassis, helping to reduce unwanted resonances. For information, its weight is displayed at 307 g on the scale against 310 g for the first PX7 of the name.
Bluetooth APT-X Adaptive on board
For the rest, it uses most of the technical characteristics of the PX7 (see our news item Bluetooth 5.0 APT-X Bowers & Wilkins PX7 headphones with active noise reduction). Equipped with Bluetooth APT-X Adaptive technology with low latency (less than 80 ms), it is characterized by a variable bandwidth between 280 kbps and 480 kbps. Likewise, the APT-X algorithms have been overhauled to deliver superior sound quality to those of APT-X HD, for audiophile-like listening. Hi-Res Audio certification is required.
The battery life is around 30 hours, and a quick charge function allows five hours of listening time in just 15 minutes. New, charging is now associated with a USB-C connector, which can also be used for a wired connection of the PX7 S2. Note the automatic stop of the music when you lift a headset to hear what is happening around. The sound resumes when the headphones are put back on the ears.
On the other hand, if the active noise reduction is still part of the game with a total of four dedicated microphones, the latter have been repositioned for increased performance. Voice recording is always ensured via two additional microphones.
40 millimeter transducers
The audio quality is said to be better than that of the existing PX7s, provided by generous 40 mm cellulose fiber speakers developed by the team already responsible for the 800 Series Diamond speakers (which equip Abbey Road studios). Available at an indicative price of 429 euros.
Reminder of the key characteristics of the Bowers & Wilkins PX7 S2:
• Type: closed dynamic circum-auricular headphones
• Loudspeaker(s): 40 mm wideband diaphragm
• Frequency response: 10Hz-30kHz
• Total harmonic distortion (THD): 0.3%
• Impedance: 20 ohms
• Connectivity: Bluetooth 5.0
• Certification Hi-Res Audio
• Supported Bluetooth profiles: A2DP/AVRCP/HFP/HSP
• Codecs: SBC/AAC/APT-X HD/APT-X Adaptive
• Function(s): Ambient Pass-Trough and Wear Sensors
• Active noise reduction: yes, adaptive mode automatically selected based on ambient noise
• Battery life: 30 hours with active noise reduction
• Other(s) ): USB-C cables
• Weight: 307 g