As a reminder, as already mentioned in one of our previous news items, even if all the models of the LG C2 TV series benefit from the Evo mention, therefore an Oled EX panel signed LG Display, the 42 '' and 48 'specimens ' are lacking. LG Electronics indicates that the reduced pitch size of the 42'' and 48'' Oled panels does not allow you to take advantage of the extra brightness of an Evo panel (heating problem?). On the other hand, these screens do embed the other key elements of the Evo 2022 label, the new Alpha 9 Gen5 processor and the associated algorithms.
LG C2 TV, Brightness Booster technology
As we can see, the main specificity of the Oled LG C2 TV series compared to the LG C1 vintage 2021 references therefore lies in the integration of the Oled Evo panel. The latter benefits from Brightness Booster technology and not Brightness Booster Max as on LG G2 TVs, this distinction in the name indicating the absence of a heat sink here. In the end, LG C2 TVs display a light peak about 20% higher than the "classic" OLED panels onboard LG A2 and LG B2 screens. And about 8% lower than an LG G2 screen.
If, in 2021, the Oled TV series LG C1 had five references, the LG G2 vintage 2022 has six with the LG OLED42C2 (42'', 107 cm), LG OLED48C2 (48'', 122 cm) , LG OLED55C2 (55'', 140cm), LG OLED65C2 (65'', 165cm), LG OLED77C2 (77'', 196cm) and LG OLED83C2 (83'', 211cm).
Among the other advantages of the Oled EX panel, a new algorithm for controlling the displayed image. After studying the user's viewing habits, the latter optimizes the settings of each pixel on the screen (up to 33 million for 8K Ultra HD TVs) via extremely fine control of the electrical energy sent to each organic diode. The latter offers, according to LG Display, more details displayed in the dark and bright areas of the image for a wealth of textures in progress. This would be a welcome novelty to improve the display of HDR signals, a weak point of OLED technology.
Last precision, the Oled EX process also allows an ever greater thinness of the frame of the Oled panels, by around 30% (i.e. a thickness of 4 mm for a 65 '' diagonal against 6 mm) for a design even more sophisticated.
Zoom on the evolutions of Oled LG 2022 TVs
For the rest, the main evolution of the LG C2 therefore lies in the integration of the new Alpha 9 Gen5 processor in charge of video processing (see our CES 22 news > New Alpha 9 Gen 5 processor for LG Oled TV and QNED Mini LED), which still has four major and distinct steps to redact video noise. The increased power of the latter reinforces the performance of the AI Picture Pro and AI Sound Pro processes still present: the first is based on a Deep Learning program (image processing is adapted to the nature of the content for optimized display on the screen with, to be noted, a new Dynamic Tone Mapping Pro algorithm which will subdivide the screen into zones that are more independent of each other for increased overall colorimetric fidelity). Ditto for the second modulo the audio content, with the possibility of a virtual 7.1.2 audio environment from a stereo signal in order to improve sound immersion.
In terms of new features for LG OLED C2 televisions, we should point out the new WebOS 22 interface (click on the link to find out all about this new ergonomics) which gives pride of place to content and now offers profile management . With it, the Launch Bar disappears in favor of a proposal close to that of Google TV or Android TV. On the flagship services side, in addition to Google Stadia and GeForce Now already available, Blade Shadow is still expected on LG TVs (see our CES 21 news > Stadia, GeForce Now and Blade Shadow on LG 2021 TVs). And the Game Optimizer vintage 2022 mode (new Dark Room mode) collects all the TV settings involved with a video game signal and allows the user to individually set them as desired.
To come back to the algorithms of the LG 2022 TVs already present in the 2021 models, the Alpha 9 Gen 5 identifies the faces and the text displayed on the screen even more precisely to optimize the settings. Result, a sharpness announced on the rise and a skin tone never faulted. Similarly, the Auto Genre Selection function recognizes more precisely and automatically the nature of the content displayed on the screen and selects the optimum settings (film, sport, SD definition, HD, etc.).
Otherwise, many specifications hardly change from year to year. We list the main ones below:
• A Dynamic Tone Mapping Pro color conversion table (3DLUT) with nearly 36,000 colorimetric correction points for perfect accuracy, better image depth by managing the different focal planes via the Object Depth process Enhancer, and increased precision of image sharpness
• The BFI (Black Frame Insertion) mode remains identical to that of last year
• The anti-reflective filter inaugurated in 2018 is still in use. It avoids magenta chromatic shifts on dark scenes, or even when the TV is off, visible on LG Oled TVs until 2016
• LG Oled TVs are capable of carrying a Dolby Atmos audio signal (with conversion virtual 5.1.2) via the eARC function of the HDMI socket. This is to retrieve the Dolby Atmos soundtracks available from Netflix for example.
• Wisa compatibility to enjoy TV sound, up to 5.1, on appropriate speakers, i.e. wireless
• ThinQ AI Smart TV function
• 4 HDMI 2.1 inputs (48 Gb/s)
• ALLM and VRR compatibility (from 40 Hz to 120 Hz)
• a 4K Ultra HD HFR signal (120 frames per second) via the HDMI connectors
• Direct integration of Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant voice assistants
• VP9 and AV1 compatibility via HDMI or USB
• Label HGiG (HDR Gaming interest Group)
• G-Sync and FreeSync compatibility
• Bluetooth Surround function (to use LG Bluetooth speakers as a surround speaker in a multi-channel setup)
• Filmmaker mode
• Voice control (Hi LG or Alexa) thanks to the microphones integrated into the TV (without the need for the remote control)
• Absolutely splendid Gallery design: on the wall (the wall fixing is included in the box) on a stand with With the new Gallery Stand, the result is magnificent
HDR10, HDR Dolby Vision, HDR HLG and Dolby Vision IQ Precision Detail
There is also a native 100 Hz flat OLED Ultra HD 10-bit panel and the Perfect Color (99% of the DCI-P3 color space) and True Color Accuracy Pro functions for unprecedented color accuracy.
Also on the menu, the AI 4K Upscaling UHD algorithm capable of magnifying SD/HD sources to Ultra HD and a slim 2.2 sound bar delivering a total power of 40 W (2 x 10 W + 20 W for the subwoofer). Not to mention HEVC 2 160p/50 and 2 160p/60 compatibility, codec used for HD VOD and Ultra HD Blu-Ray.
The 4K Cinema HDR function is associated with HDR10, HDR Dolby Vision and HDR HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma) compatibility. Also present, the Dolby Vision IQ Precision Detail process, exclusive on LG TVs for the moment, to enjoy a Dolby Vision HDR image that is always perfectly set regardless of the surrounding light conditions, plus the HDR called HDR Dynamic Tone Mapping Pro already noted. And the result is convincing with more details in very bright and dark areas.
In addition to this, we note the Ultra Luminance Pro function to further improve the dynamic range of the image. This is capable of boosting brightness by transferring unused light energy from dark areas of the image to bright areas.
Smart TV ThinQ AI
The LG OLED C2 displays of course offer the LG ThinQ AI 2022 function. As already mentioned above, Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant are integrated. These voice assistants are both accessible directly on the remote control via a dedicated button but also through the TV, without the need for the zappette). In addition to exchanging vocally directly with your screen, as with a Google Home or Amazon Echo speaker, it is possible to control by voice, through the TV, other Google Assistant and Alexa certified devices shared on the local network. All of this provides access to the internet and specific services (LG App Store online store, chat on social networks, etc.), or directly to the web as on a computer. Of course, Miracast, Bluetooth 5.0, Wi-Fi 6, AirPlay 2 and HomeKit are on the menu again.
Otherwise, ThinQ AI has its own AI module to drive the TV easily and quickly. But the Conversational mode available on Alexa and even more so on Google Assistant is not relevant here. ThinQ AI is perfect for giving the TV a command, such as "Volume up" or "Turn on Cinema mode", but it's Google Assistant that takes over during a more in-depth question, on an actor displayed on the screen. 'screen or more generally to search for information related or not to the broadcast content.
Don't forget either that the Magic Remote includes a microphone for ergonomics, via voice command, which is always excellent. WebOS 22 also allows you to enjoy 360° videos directly on the TV screen and to use the Magic Remote to move around in the image.
And the rest ?
For the rest, the LG C2 TVs have a simple DVB-T2, DVB-S2 and DVB-C tuner, an Auto Level function (to avoid sudden changes in sound volume when changing sources), Fransat and Canal Ready certifications, HBBTV compatibility, the DVR function for recording favorite programs via one of the three USB Host 2.0 ports on a suitable key or an external HDD, all associated with the Time Shifting function. Of course, a virtual keyboard is available via the LG Remote iOS/Android/Windows Phone application to use suitable smartphones/tablets as remote controls.
Finally, if LG does not provide any details on the Input Lag of the 2022 Oled TVs, it should at least be at the level of that of the 2021 TVs, i.e. around 10 ms (6 ms in 4K/120 ) with HDR Game mode.
HDMI 2.1/HDCP 2.3
The connection of LG C2 screens brings together at the back of the TV (see photo above) four HDCP 2.3 certified HDMI CEC 2.1 inputs, one of which has the eARC function. There is also an optical output, a 3.5mm mini-jack plus three USB Host ports (including one 3.0) Fat32 and NTFS compatible, a CI+ port and an Ethernet port. In addition to VP9 and AV1, MP3, AAC, PCM, WMA, VC-1 and Jpeg compatibility is assured, with the MKV container. Finally, there is the LG Sound Sync Wireless function to automatically turn on/off, like the TV, a brand sound bar for example.
Last precision, Oled LG C2 TVs can be associated with the new TV Gallery Stand presented by the brand at CES 2021 (pictured above), except for the 77'' and 83-inch models
Availability announced for the end of March-beginning of April. Indicative prices still unknown.
Reminder of the key characteristics of LG OLEDC2 TVs:
• 10-bit panel
• 100 Hz panel
• Ultra HD/4K panel
• Oled Evo Brightness Booster panel ( except on the 42''/48'')
• Oled EX panel (except on the 42''/48'')
• Processor: Alpha 9 Gen 5
• Wide Color function Gamut
• UPnP (DLNA) multimedia gateway function
• eARC function
• VRR function
• ALLM (Auto Low Latency Mode) function
• Billion Rich Color function
• Upscaller HDR function
• Time Shifting function
• LG Sound Sync Wireless function
• Ultra Luminance Pro function
• True Color Accuracy Pro function
• BFI (Black Frame Insertion)
• 4K HFR 120 function
• AI Sound Pro function
• AI Picture Pro function
• Advanced Color Enhancer function
• Oled Motion function Pro
• Auto Volume Level function
• HDR10 and HDR HLG compatibility
• NTFS compatibility (via USB)
• Miracast compatibility
• HDR Dolby Vi compatibility sion
• HDCP 2.3 compatibility
• HEVC compatibility
• NFC compatibility
• Dolby Atmos compatibility
• HBBTV compatibility
• Fransat compatibility
• Wi-Fi Direct compatibility
• CEC compatibility
• Wisa compatibility
• Canal Ready compatibility
• Bluetooth 5.0 compatibility
• Wi-Fi ac compatibility
• AV1 compatibility
• VP9 compatibility
• G-Sync compatibility
• HDCP 2.3 compatibility
• HDR Dolby Vision IQ Precision Detail compatibility
• Filmmaker Mode certification
• Outputs: 1 optical output, 1 3.5 mm mini-Jack
• Inputs: 4 HDMI 2.1 compatible HDCP 2.3, CEC, eARC, 3 USB 2.0 ports compatible Fat32, exFat and NTFS, 1 CI+ port, 1 port Ethernet
• AirPlay 2 multimedia
• HomeKit multimedia
• Amazon Alexa multimedia
• Google Assistant multimedia
• LG ThinQ AI multimedia
• WebOS 22 multimedia
• Input Lag: 10 ms (6 ms in 4K/120)
• Bright peak: around 800 nits
• DVB-T tuner 2
• DVB-C tuner
• DVB-S2 tuner
• Sound section: 2.2
• Power: 40 W (2 x 10 W + 20 W for the subwoofer)
• Energy label: G (SDR & HDR) on the 42''/48''/55'', F in SDR and G in HDR on the 65''/77''/83''